Friday, August 8, 2008

Transhumanism Entry I

Where to begin? I think I will begin with the WTA’s FAQ section. I will read it and give my thoughts on areas of agreement and disagreement.

What is a transhumanist?

Is a way of thinking about the future that is based on the premise that humans currently do not represent a final stage of development but rather a rudimentary stage.

To fully develop this idea it is thought that there is an intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of improving the human condition in all areas of empirical existence.

And, the study of the results, progress and potential dangers of technologies that will enable humans to overcome fundamental limitations of its own species, and the relation of ethics to this kind of development within humans.

I basically agree with everything that is said in this statement above. However, I think the missing component is a recognition that humans are innately inclined into finding themselves in destructive behaviors, and that with the increased power of technology this innate characteristic will prove to be more destructive over the course of time. I applaud the effort to study the ethical use of technologies, but I think that the Christian perspective adds the component that over a given amount of time, though humans can act ethically with an increase in development, humans are predisposed to justify evil actions as being ethically right given enough time. I believe catastrophe is the final end, but can be averted for long spans of time through cautionary measures.

No comments: